Unless you’ve been living under a rock these last few weeks, you are probably aware that there is a global sporting event hosted by Brazil happening right now.
Now’s the time to pull out your red, white and blue gear and get ready to cheer on athletes from sports you might not otherwise keep up with during off-years — I’m looking at you archery.
If like me you love a good pun, and you should, the big sporting competition this summer presents a wonderful opportunity to wow your friends and Twitter followers with punny content.
So that you can spend more time watching the events and less time trying to be clever, I’ve scoured the Internet and found the best puns out there. I should warn you, some of these are pretty cheesy, but I like to think that’s what makes them so good.
- What’s a banker’s favorite gymnastic event? Vault. (Tweet this)
- Why is tennis such a hateful sport? Nobody wants to have love. (Tweet this)
- Why do cyclists travel so fast when they race? They’re always pushing the pedal to the medal. (Tweet this)
- Why do volleyball players always make extra money? Well, it’s common practice to tip a good server. (Tweet this)
- It’s the fishing event today. I hear it’s all online. Anyone got a good stream? (Tweet this)
- Why is the track team so talkative? Because they’re always discus-ing. (Tweet this)
- How is playing the bagpipes like throwing a javelin blindfolded? You don’t have to be very good to get people’s attention. (Tweet this)
- “I really don’t see the point in archery.” “You would if one of the arrows flew towards you.” (Tweet this)
- Why isn’t suntanning a competitive sport? Because the best you can ever get is bronze. (Tweet this)
- I heard the swimming teams had to pool their resources to afford the trip to Rio. (Tweet this)
- Thanks to their bow ties, archers are always the best-dressed athletes. (Tweet this)
- Why are gymnasts always looking to do favors for their friends? Because they like to bend over backwards. (Tweet this)
- I canoe even believe our team didn’t win! (Tweet this)
- Judo-n’t stand a chance against the U.S. team. (Tweet this)
- It’s a boat time the sailing portion of the competition started. (Tweet this)
- Sometimes cyclists are two tired to finish the race. (Tweet this)
Got more sports puns? I’d love to hear them so drop them in the comments!